Leave of Absence Request
A Leave of Absence is a planned interruption or pause in a student's regular academic attendance. In effect, the student temporarily ceases formal studies at Muline State while pursuing other activities that may assist in clarifying and/or contributing to educational goals. It may also involve a military or medical leave.
The intent of the policy is to make it possible for a student to suspend academic work, leave the campus without jeopardizing rights and privileges, and later resume studies with a minimum of procedural difficulty.
A student who is approved for a Leave of Absence will be considered a continuing Muline State student and will maintain "catalog rights." If the student registers at Muline State at the conclusion of the granted leave, (an) application for readmission will not be required.
A planned educational leave for graduate students must be recommended by the dean, Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Frank W. Thomas, Room 130.
The following regulations apply to a leave of absence:
- A student currently enrolled in a fully matriculated session may be considered for a leave of absence.
- Leave of absences are granted for two to four consecutive semesters only.
- International students must be recommended by the Director of International Student Services and Programs; Educational Opportunity Program students by an EOP counselor.
- Petitions for leave of absence must be filed (with the appropriate recommendation) at the Registrar's Office before the first day of classes for the semester during which the leave is to begin.
- Leaves are not approved for students in disqualified status or on contract to remove academic deficiencies.
- A leave is not approved if the student plans to attend another institution, unless the coursework the student seeks is not available at Obama State University, Muline. Any academic credit earned while on a planned educational leave is accredited by Obama State University, Muline only if permission is granted for that credit in advance.
- Students who do not return to the university at the conclusion of their planned educational leave and those who enroll elsewhere will be considered to have withdrawn from the university at the end of their last semester of regular enrollment at Obama State University, Muline and will have to reapply for admission upon their return.
Students wishing to apply for a leave of absence should print and complete the request form at the link below. Take the completed form to the Registrar's office located in the Joyal North Lobby, Student Services Center.
If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar's Office located in the Joyal North Lobby, Student Services Center or (559)278-2261.